Friday, August 28, 2009

Just when you thought it was safe to go diamond shopping… Tales of engagement and non-engagement…

Just when you thought it was safe to go diamond shopping… Tales of engagement and non-engagement…

I’ve dealt with thousands of different people over the years and that would mean thousands of different personalities but as trends go, some repeat themselves as you’ll see in what follows.

We all know the following couple but have dealt with them in different circumstances, mine happen to be when they are shopping for engagement rings. The woman is overbearing, tending towards obnoxious, the man is overwhelmed, unable to finish his own sentences somewhat emasculated.

Here’s how it usually starts: Woman struts into store pronounces “I want to see everything!”, man follows shoulders slumped feet shuffling resigned, at this point I put on the charm steer the couple to a cozy corner where I state clearly that I don’t do everything but would be more then happy to work with this fine couple if they show a little focus.

The battle lines are drawn…

If I haven’t told you before I’m Irish and a little head strong myself so I may feel a slight need to defend what I feel is, this fellows lack of manhood so I whip out my imaginary sword and I’m ready to do battle with Madame Overbearing.

Me: Is there a particular style of diamond engagement ring you’re after?

M.O.: (I’ll abbreviate Madame Overbearing from this point on) Perhaps you misunderstood me but I did state that I want to see everything!!!

Me: I’ll repeat it more slowly this time I…Don’t…Do…Everything…I…Need…Focus…I’m sure you understand sir.

Overwhelmed man starts to speak but is drowned out by M O “perhaps you didn’t understand me but in the interest in this process started, show me that ring over there!!”

Me: As I think to myself that this is going nowhere I pull a gorgeous cushion cut Diamond engagement ring from the window and proceed to show it to M O. “ well this is beautiful why don’t you try it on”

M.O.: “well you mustn’t be the sharpest tack in the box, I Meant the Other Ring over there!!!”

Me: At this point I think, why did I start with this shrew, grab the other ring and shove it on M O’s finger

M.O.: What do you think of this one Stanley? Stanley starts to speak but is quickly drowned out, frankly it’s not all that important what he thinks as all he’s doing is paying for it!”

Me: ” Well at this point I’ve had enough time to defend all manhood, I start to put all the jewelry away while the couple across from me looks slightly bewildered, once everything has been cleared from the counter, I state clearly while pointing my fingers,” ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO MARRY HER!!!”

Here’s where it gets interesting, the couple is usually slightly stunned, taken aback etc. M O usually starts sputtering and twitching while overwhelmed man stands just a bit straighter. I proceed to open the door and shoo the couple away.

Well not all my encounters end with a sale some just end with a lesson in life. Let’s face it when I’m dealing with you, the general public, we are in to happy endings and 99% of the time, that’s what’s accomplished the other 1% is just plain interesting.

Have a great day!

Kerry Ryan
Shenoa Diamonds

1 West 47th Street
Diamond District
New York, NY 10036

No comments:

Post a Comment